Sunday, June 17, 2007

A (Mostly) Mowed Yard!

Hooray! I (sort-of) mowed my grass today with my new riding mower! Of course, I flooded the engine once, and it backfired on me and scared me to death. I rode the clutch. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get the brake all the way down, but I did it! Hopefully, the next time will be better. At least I mowed down most of the really tall grass. But the cutting job is erratic--I got so wrapped up in getting the tall grass that I skipped some of the other parts. I have cut sections and not-cut sections, but I'll do better once I'm more comfortable. I'm hoping I haven't stripped any gears or blown any gaskets! I only took two hours to mow, though, instead of two hours a day, five days a week.

Mechanical gadgets, while fascinating, still scare me. Driving a lawnmower is very much like driving a car, but I didn't realize that speed is relative--when I was riding on the mower, I probably wasn't going faster than 3 to 5 miles an hour, but without doors and a roof to protect me, I felt totally vulnerable. But I also felt empowered--I can do it myself, so that feeds my sense of independence. Since I can't rely on my brothers or my father to "take care" of me, I need to be able to do these things myself. Scary--yes--but also quite liberating.

I did visit briefly with my dad today for Father's Day. His birthday is Wednesday, so I brought two cards. I chipped in with my siblings to buy him a custom golf club for Father's Day, and I got him an American Express gift card that he can spend anyway he wants. I also had a chance to see my brother Mike, his wife Linda, and his daughter Katie. That was nice. I don't get to see them too often since they live in Monroe, LA.

When my children were still living at home, they used to give me a card for Father's Day! I kind of miss that.

I hope all you fathers had a good day! Mine was excellent.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You deserve a father's day card for tackling that riding lawn mower!

CrackHeadforTennis said...

It sounds like you like your new toy. I will try my best to let you know when I'm coming to visit you. I would hate for you to stay for another hour. Thanks for your comments. Your brother Mike does not live far away from Rayville. Your Dad received great gifts. Hope to talk with you soon. The way that you described the riding lawnmower makes me curious.

Chotalai said...

Way to go Professor Smith! I love to hear about women being independent. Early in our relationsip, I thought I'd surprise Bobby and mow the yard. I'd never cut a yard before. I'd never used a mower before. I tried to mow in rows, but I got bored. I figured as long as it got cut it would not matter. Bobby was really surprised when he got home. There were sections everywhere, going in different directions. Needless to say, he told me that the mower is off limits.
Bobby uses a push mower to mow almost two acres I can tell that chore is getting old. I've been thinking that he needs a riding mower. I'd been thinking that I could use it, too. But, after hearing about the troubles you first ran across with your riding mower, I have no hope. I can't even drive a standard car, so...