Saturday, March 03, 2012

If it's sunny, I'm outside...

Apologies to all students whose papers I haven't graded/read yet.  The sun is out, the temp is good, and my garden and the chickens are calling my name!

Today, I turned a tire into an herb garden; I need to figure out how to cut the rim to open it up more, though.  I planted cilantro, dill, and parsley I wintersowed, then bought some English thyme at the Ace Hardware store.  I planted eggplant, some Dragon carrot seeds, sowed more cabbage in some of the other beds after I pulled up greens that were going to seed.  I've made a spring soup of greens, squash, and carrots.  I just want to dig in the dirt.

 I took this pic before I planted the thyme.

I've collected four eggs today, but I had to eat one because it had a small dent in it.

This my newest garden box; mostly tomatoes.  If all of these produce, I'll be canning tomatoes all summer! I've also planted basil, yellow squash, acorn squash, and a few pumpkin seeds in here.


Mrs. Bennet says "Hi!"


The sun is still out, and I just want to be out in it.  Sigh.  I must read drafts and grade papers.



1 comment:

Bouney said...

I love your gardens Ms. Smith and your chickens. You seem to be having a whole lot of fun with them. We bought plants too this weekend. The usual tomatoe squash, zucchini, cucumbers, red, yellow and green bell peppers. We replanted them in cups and put them in the greenhouse so they could get a little stronger before planting them in the garden. Every year I get excited as soon as the sun starts showing starts coming around more. I am ready to start planting. Glad it was nice this weekend!