Wednesday, January 04, 2012

What I Did on My Winter Break...

My son came in from Austin and helped me build a chicken coop:


I plan to get the chickens as soon as it warms up a bit, though I think now would be okay.  So far, the winter has been mild, but we haven't had February yet!

I took Daniel, my son, back to Austin after Christmas, and I spent about four days there.  Did a bit of shopping for plants.  We went to The Great Outdoors--they were having a plant sale, half-off everything--and I bought more stuff to plant.  They gave us a flat of Asian vegetables, bok choy, etc.  So I had to plant those when I arrived home.  Here's a pic of one of the beds:


Right now, I have broccoli, collards, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, spinach and other assorted greens.  The winter garden seems to be about green vegetables!  Oh, and I've planted an artichoke.  I haven't grown those before, so we'll see how that works.

Mostly, I've been baking, cooking, planting, and working on my spring courses.  I've had an excellent break--and now, I have only a little more than a week before spring semester begins!

No comments: