Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Another No-Grade Day, Kind Of...

Really, I've just been monitoring the course evaluations from my Advanced Comp students.  They get 10 points just for turning in their opinions.  I read them after I post their grades.  They can say whatever they want; even if I did read course evals before the end of the semester, I don't grade students on their opinions about my teaching or my class.  I grade the work they turn in.  They get the grades they earn.

At the beginning of every semester, I tell my students that, if they want an A, they need to start working on it from the first day.  Somehow, they don't hear that.  I always get a few emails from students at the end asking me to please, please, please, "give" them an A, even if they're four points away from it.  Or could I please, please, please let them do extra credit work to "earn" the A. Well, during finals week, I'm up to my armpits in papers, so when am I supposed to have time to grade "extra" work?  True, I've had a couple of "no grade" days, but I've earned them at this point.  It's enough that I have to go back and make sure I've graded everything I should have and given students the points they truly have earned.  I don't have time for "extra" assignments--to devise them or to grade them.

So, today, while I've been monitoring evaluations, I've baked blueberry muffins and made a pot of lentils.  I've been noodling with my writing--though I need to keep at it more diligently.  Tomorrow, I don't have any papers to grade, but I do have a set of essays coming in around midnight, and I have my last exam Thursday at 8am (yikes--I have to get up at 5am and leave by 6:30am to give myself enough time to wake up).  But, after that, all I have to do is grade, average grades, and post them.  Then I can sleep for a week or so.

And then comes Christmas, New Year's, and a new semester.  And I have to get ready for that--but not before I take some time to not work!

No comments: